A brief History
Framlingham College was founded in 1864 in memory of Queen Victoria’s husband, Albert, Prince Consort, whose statue takes pride of place at the front of the College.
The College continues to enjoy a fine situation, looking across the mere to the 12th Century Castle and the historic parish church of St Michael’s.
The town of Framlingham, which pre-dates its mention in the Domesday Book of 1086, is perhaps most famous for its castle. This magnificent monument occupies a hill on one side of the town’s mere, while our own campus tops the rise opposite.
The College enjoys a fine reputation as a fully co-educational school, large enough to enjoy the benefits of outstanding facilities and extensive grounds, but small enough to retain a friendly and caring atmosphere.
Founding of the Prep School
Framlingham College Prep School for 3 to 13 year old boys and girls was established in 1948 and officially opened in 1949 in the idyllic neo-Tudor Hall beside the River Deben, approximately 5 miles from the Senior School in the village of Brandeston.
The Hall, known as Brandeston Hall, was bought by the Society of Old Framlinghamians to remember those who fell in the two World Wars.